Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Woke up in London yesterday . . .

It has been a very, very, very long day. Overnight transatlantic flights are draining, and when you've been running around Heathrow and London from 6:30 in the morning to now, you're pretty tired. Especially since you're trying to stave off sleep so that your circadian rhythm will somewhat adjust to the new time zone. Which is one reason I am writing a blog post right now. To keep myself awake.

That's not to say that it has been a bad day. Just a busy and tiring one.

But there is always wonder in the air in London. It is a beautiful city, rich in history and tradition.

Also, this is what I woke up to outside of my airplane window this morning:


If you ever wondered what London looks like from the air at 6:15 in the morning, now you know. It is a stunning collection of lights, with the black Thames cutting under the brilliance.

London greeted us (my mom and I--she's traveling with me) in her typical manner: with rain. It was a soggy, shiny September morning, afternoon, and evening.

She's just telling us how it is. What it means to live in England. You'd better get used to rain. Learn to like it, even when it makes your hair incredibly frizzy.

But she makes up for her occasional grumpiness by reminding you of her class, sophistication, and sheer beauty.

 [just a charming London street.]

 [now in black and white.]

 [Kensington Gardens.]



 [Iconic.]

 ["Flower Corner" with post.]

 [Trafalgar Square. The monument was under construction, so this was the best I could do under the circumstances.]

 [Westminster Abbey. Just extraordinary.]

[Hello, Big Ben.]

There is still so much ahead. But for tonight, I am grateful for the beginning of the journey. And that it begins in London. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you arrived safely and although I'm super jealous that you're living in England, I'm excited to hear all about your life at the real world Hogwarts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. butbutbut. where are the photos of #londonarmknechtinvasion or #megletinlondon??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister. We were dead tired and both of us looked like some poor, ragged, wet, dreary characters from a Dickens novel. Hence, no pictures of us from yesterday. Today we will take pictures. :)

      Delete