Friday, October 9, 2015

Things to Remember [Oxford Week 0]


-Choral music at Oxford is transcendent. Listening to voices reverberate on the stone walls? It almost brings me to tears. 

-The bells. Oh, the beautiful pealing of the bells. 

-Apparently "Christ Church time" means the same thing as "Mormon Standard Time"--it just gives people an excuse to start things five minutes late.  


-Remember that boys' school right by my flat? Today they were wearing academic gowns and mortarboards. Like, these were 10-year-olds. They looked like they were playing dress-up. And it was adorable. 

-Freshers Fair = a glorified BYUSA event. 

-My college common room (yes, I have a common room) is always stocked with biscuits. So, former/current Writing Fellows from BYU, the all-important job of keeping cookies stocked is important even in OXFORD. Cookie Captain, you have a noble calling. 


-There is a road close to my flat that has amazing restaurants and cool stores. There's a Lebanese restaurant, some cool-looking Indian takeaways, and a RUSSIAN FOODS STORE. So naturally, I bought halva. And I am soooooo happy. 

-I love running the streets of this city. I love how it is a medieval city and discovering the nooks and crannies of the place. 


-They weren't kidding when they said it rains in Oxford. Because it rains. A lot. Sunshine is a precious commodity. 

-I love afternoon tea. I'm trying to figure out a way to incorporate it into the American lifestyle. 

-"Even if you do not love and are not loved in the way you think you deserve, I say it is better to die trying; it is better to die hoping." 

-I believe that people will be good when given the chance. Perhaps I am overly optimistic. But I figure that the pessimist only has the hollow consolation of saying, "told you so." I would rather fly on wings of hope and risk falling than keep my eyes on the ground and never notice the beauty and light in the eyes around me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment