Sunday, October 31, 2010

October Days

October is my favorite month. And as it's slipping away, I thought I'd do a shout-out of the top 20 things I love about October . . . even though there are most definitely more than 20 things I love about this month. But here they are, in no particular order:
20. Pumpkins. I love pumpkins: carving pumpkins, roasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin cake from Kneaders, pumpkin bread, pumpkin spice smell . . . it's such a wonderfully versatile gourd.
19. Halloween candy.
18. Halloween. To be honest, I'm really not a big fan of Halloween, but I still do enjoy it. I love seeing little kids dressed up as firefighters and ballerinas, and it's pretty fun to see big kids dressed up in really creative costumes, too. Like my roommate, Michelle, was the "Flaming Mustache" from the MOA exhibition last year. She was pretty much awesome. I didn't dress up this year (lame, I know), but I thought of all of these great costume ideas AFTER Halloween. Like Ms. Pacman. Or a blade of grass on campus ("Please Don't Walk on Me, I'm Trying Hard to Grow!"). *Sigh* There's always next year . . .
17. Creating Ward Musical Numbers with my Roommates. Okay, I don't do this EVERY October, but we certainly did it this one. It will be a pretty rocking musical number. It will be a horn-flute-piano-voice arrangement and we'll be performing "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me." I'm excited.
16. BYU Homecoming.
15. Apples. Especially caramel ones.
14. First snow.
13. Friends' birthdays. I know so many people who have birthdays in October. We kind of form this solidarity knowing that we all have birthdays in the best month of the year (not that I'm biased or anything).
12. Clouds. I don't know why, but the cloud formations this October have been absolutely stunning. I especially love it when the sun cuts through the clouds.
11. Rainstorms. There have been some wonderful rainstorms this October, too! They add a bit of crispness to the air, which is heavenly. I love just standing outside in the rain, letting the wind, water, and smell engulf me.
10. Roommate Movie Nights.
9. Start of BYU Basketball Season. Oh yeah, baby.
8. Looking at the mountains. From looking at the changing colors on Y-mountain, to gazing at the majesty of Timpanogos's snowcapped peaks, I am always in awe of the grandeur of God's creations.
7. The smell of fall. I am pretty sure that heaven will smell like fall.
6. The air. I love the crispness in the air, and I like being a little bit cold. I know that probably sounds weird, but it makes me feel alive.
5. Sweaters. :)

4. BYU Football Season! I love the atmosphere of the BYU football games, and I especially love it when we win. By the way, did you know that I was on the BYU.edu page? Yep, I'm practically famous. Here's the picture.


3. General Conference.
2. The LEAVES. There's a maple tree that I pass every day on the way to campus. The top is gorgeously red, the middle is a blend of yellow and red, and the bottom is still yellow-green. I love that tree. It takes my breath away every time I see it. I also love to look up at the mountains. The brilliant reds, oranges, and yellows look like an odd patchwork quilt ad fill my soul with happiness. I also love to crunch the leaves on the sidewalks. :)
1. My birthday! I turned 20 this year (that's the reason why I listed 20 wonderful things about October). I had such a wonderful day. I enjoyed seeing my family and friends . . . and my roommates threw a surprise birthday party for me! I've never had one before, and it was so fun. I seriously have the best friends in the world. I'm so blessed.
October is about as close to perfection as you can get.

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to love October in Utah but its hard for me! BUt I'm glad its your favorite time of year. It is pretty nice when its sunny but cool, perfect for a light jacket. And totally agree on the leaves... pretty! But first snow? GIRRRRL you crazy!! Haha

    ReplyDelete