Friday, May 4, 2018

Life as of late

I was sure that I had another blog post title called this (and, tbh, I probably do), but I did a word search and nothing showed up. So I'm keeping it.

Today was (almost) my last day of classes this term. I say almost because we missed a week on my Thursday afternoon class, so we have to make that up next week. (But next Thursday will be only TWO MORE DAYS until I leave for Utah and wedding preparation begins in earnest!)

I have been seriously been neglecting writing on my blog. I know there's no apology necessary (it's expected in a PhD program), but I would like to write more than once a month (re: see April of this year). So maybe with the end of classes and the beginning of summer, something will change.

It was summer weather today. 90 degrees, people. 90 DEGREES. Waaaaaayyyyy too warm for my taste. Like, ever. But especially in early May. What is this world coming to.

A couple weeks ago, Sam and I drove up to Boston to pick up some furniture (which his aunt and uncle kindly gave us), and I saw two wonderful friends of mine from BYU, and it made me so happy to be surrounded by friends who know me well, that we could just stand and talk for awhile and that it felt so good and natural. It made me homesick for those connections. But it made me feel like myself again. Truly, deeply myself. And I haven't really felt that way for much too long of a time.

I made the semi-unwise decision to buy a tub of cookie dough. Semi-unwise, because it's still partly wise. What wedding diet? (JK, I DON'T HAVE ONE.)

This tree is actually perfect.



I went to DC last weekend (my last trip to DC as an unmarried woman! Unless something drastic happens.), and I took some pictures. Including of the park where Sam and I got engaged. Because. You know. For posterity. And for me. Because I'm v v v nostalgic. Nostalgia is my favorite treat (and I love it more than cookie dough, which is saying something).


[Nice note in a cafe.]

[Fun fact. Sometimes I take photos for an Instagram story, but then I never post them. This is one of those pictures.]



[Engagement park. Last time I was here it was autumn.]

[Kinda fun to see it in the spring.]

Spring reminds me of Ukraine. I think it always will because spring is when I came into country, and the smells of spring--flowers blooming, the musty smell of the sidewalk, etc.--always take me back to the roads of eastern Ukraine. I don't think I'll ever get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment