Sunday, April 15, 2018

April, she will come

Spring has been shy this year. She comes for a day or two, and then quickly hides behind clouds again. (Case in point: yesterday it was about 80 degrees, and then today it is 40 degrees and rainy. And so it goes.)

But I am grateful for the sun and the spring when it comes. And I've been enjoying the sunshine while I can--and fun for me, it's been in different areas of the country and with different friends and loved ones (old and new).

Two weekends ago, I spent the weekend in D.C. with Sam, friends, and my aunt and uncle's family to celebrate LDS General Conference and Easter (which happily fell on the same Sunday this year).

It was a gorgeous time to go to D.C. The cherry blossoms were just starting to bloom, and we all went to the Mall to listen to Conference. We spread out blankets and jackets, and after many attempts, got the audio speaker to work so we could listen to General Conference, while watching kites float lazily and gracefully (and not-so-gracefully) in the air. Yes. There were kites. It was the annual Kite Flying Festival and it was just one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Such a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

[Sam and I found a little hidden park en route to the temple. We were enchanted.]

[And I'm always enchanted to have him around. Cheesy? Yes. True? Absolutely.]

[Busy Saturday on the Mall.]




[Cherry blossoms!]


[Not quite peak, but still really pretty.]



[Kites! So many kites!]

[It really was such a beautiful scene.]



[Let's go fly a kite] 

[I am not sure if this will even work, but I hope it does. If it doesn't work, it's our group listening to (and singing to, since it was the congregational hymn) General Conference on the National Mall.]


Last Saturday I was in California for a conference, which I was hoping would be sunny, but it was raining nonstop (until the day I left, of course). But the conference itself was friendly and uplifting, and I would rather have a good conference environment and a gloomy day than a gloomy conference and a beautiful day. So I'll take it.

[One day of California sun is better than none.]



And then, Princeton. Princeton in spring is beautiful! There are beautiful pink and white magnolia trees everywhere, and the flowers look so striking against the grey stone of Princeton's campus. It has made studying both easier and harder. Easier, because my soul feels lighter. Harder, because I just want to be outside and soak in the day. I hope spring decides to stay this week. And that next year she comes earlier and stays longer.

[So, so pretty]

[Can't get enough of this corner.]


P.S. I totally forgot to write about being home for Spring Break. It was good to be home. There was too much to do, but it was good to be home. Highlights include family, mountains, and dear friends who organized and came to a bridal shower for me. The older I get, the more I realize how I'm indebted to that town and the people in Utah County.

[Home.]

[Bridal shower!]


[Cute decorations]

[The fabulous Em. The sad thing is that I got more pictures of the decorations than the actual party and the people there. But luckily we snapped a few photos before Em left. Thanks for everything, Em. xx]

[Typical.]

[And more mountains. I will never, ever tire of these views.]

No comments:

Post a Comment