Thursday, November 25, 2010

Live in Thanksgiving Daily

I was reading in the Book of Mormon this morning and came across Alma 34, verse 38:



". . . and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you."



How perfect for today. And every day, really.



I truly am grateful for the many blessings God has given to me: my family, my friends, a healthy body, the gift of music, the extraordinary opportunities I've had to learn and grow and experience life, and the Gospel. His mercies abound, and I am reminded constantly of them--especially in the small and simple ways--from the beauty of a sunset to the touch of a child's hand; from finding a cell phone charger to finding peace in this world. He is truly mindful of us, and there is great reason to be thankful.



I'm also grateful for Thanksgiving. Of course it is a wonderful time to see family and friends and eat delicious turkey and scrumptious pies (mmm), but it also helps me to remember. It helps me remember how I've been blessed, how my family has been blessed, and how, I believe, this country has been blessed. And I want to live my life so I can bless others, as well . . . so they can have something (or someone) to be grateful for. "Because I have been given much, I too must give."



Happy Thanksgiving!



P.S. There was a really interesting article in the Wall Street Journal about how gratitude is good for your well-being. I believe it. Another reason for why we should "live in thanksgiving daily".



I think you would enjoy reading it: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704243904575630541486290052.html

2 comments:

  1. Megan, I love this post. It makes me so happy, and I agree. You inspired me to look up a quote from President Hinckley on gratitude that really makes the subject clear to me
    “When you walk with gratitude, you do not walk with arrogance and conceit and egotism, you walk with a spirit of thanksgiving that is becoming to you and will bless your lives."

    Thank you for bringing this to my mind! Hope you're having a wonderful Thanksgiving week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful quote, Eliza! Thanks for sharing it with me. It's going in my quote book. :)

    ReplyDelete