Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Of Hikes and Kilts




I got back from the PKP programme weekend trip to Scotland and the North yesterday. It was a really fun trip, and Scotland is absolutely beautiful. I think I actually like the Scottish countryside a bit better than the English countryside. Both are beautiful, of course, but I love the wild, windswept moors of Scotland. Gorgeous.

Some highlights of the trip included:

Reaching the Scotland-England border. The coach driver stopped at the border so that we could stretch our legs and see the view (which was stunning). The best part, however, was that there was a bagpipe player at the border, playing for us! It was the perfect welcome to Scotland.



Awesome, is it not?

Hiking was another highlight of the trip. We were staying in Pollock Halls at the University of Edinburgh, and Arthur's Seat was right behind us, so I enjoyed hiking that. I also hiked the Trussachs (aka the mini-highlands) on Saturday. It was a wet and muddy hike (and there wasn't much of a trail), but it was fun, and the vistas were incredible.


Hiking the Trussachs



On top of the world!


Also, HARRY POTTER. I wasn't on the bus where BYU students read the 7th Harry Potter book out loud on the way to Scotland, unfortunately, but I did get to hear them read Harry Potter on the way/on the way back from hiking. It was totally awesome. Also, the cafe where J.K. Rowling started writing Harry Potter (on napkins!) is in Edinburgh. It's called The Elephant House, and I got to go there. I really liked it; the atmosphere was inviting and casual. And, I did write on a napkin while I was there. Hehe. :)








Writing on a napkin (cheesy, I know, but it had to be done).


And finally, last but CERTAINLY not least, kilts. 5 of the BYU guys (Jason, Jonathan, Jeff, Tyler, and Drew) bought kilts. And wore them to the Scottish Ceilli dance that we had, and it was awesome. I don't know what it is about kilts, but they give guys more charisma. And it makes them super happy. At least that's how it was for our guys. Also, kilts definitely attract the ladies. Just sayin'.
These guys emit pure awesomeness. They're cool anyway, but with their kilts, it's almost too much to handle.
Three of them (Jason, Jonathan, and Jeff) also wore them to go hiking to Arthur's Seat. It was super windy, and they all had to watch out for "Marilyn Monroes," but seeing them run, pose, and frolick in the hills with their kilts on was pretty much amazing. And super funny. They did a photo shoot up there. I wish I had pictures, but (sigh) I don't. You'll just have to take my word for it.
Anyway, there's my trip in a rather large nutshell. School's starting to get a bit hectic now, so I don't know how many adventures I'll have this coming week. In the meantime, Cambridge is starting to feel more like home, and I'm loving getting to know so many people--both from BYU and elsewhere. It's neat associating with so many bright, brilliant people.

No comments:

Post a Comment