Friday, November 16, 2018

A vision too removed to mention

Last week, Sam and I went to see an Iron and Wine concert and I'm still thinking about it. (If you don't know any of Iron and Wine's music, I highly recommend it. It is beautiful, rich, relaxing, and deep.)

This was my first "real" concert (and Sam was happy to take me to it, since he absolutely loves music and concerts--I lucked out to marry someone cooler than I am), and it was really fun to hear an artist I love so much live. Bah. The concert was just so, so good.

The best part was when he started singing "The Trapeze Swinger," which is my favorite Iron and Wine song. It's just devastatingly beautiful. Here's a (clean) link to the song here.

When he started playing the opening guitar part, I almost lost it, I was so happy. It's a long song (from 7-9 minutes depending on the version), but I was loving every second of it.

. . . please remember me at Halloween 
making fools of all the neighbors
our faces painted white, by midnight we'd
forgotten one another. 
And when the morning came I was ashamed
only now it seems so silly. 
That season left the world and then returned
and now you're lit up by the city. 

So please, remember me mistakenly 
in the window of the tallest tower call, 
then pass us by 
to see the empty road at happy hour
gleam and resonate 
just like the gates around the Holy Kingdom 
with words like "Lost and Found" and "Don't Look Down" 
and "Someone Save Temptation." 

And please, remember me as in the dream
we had as rug-burned babies
among the fallen trees and fast asleep
beside the lions and the ladies
that called you what you like and even might
give a gift for your behavior
a fleeting chance to see 
a trapeze swing as high as any savior . . .

I don't know why I love this song so much, but I do. I really, really do. I love its fragility, sadness, and beauty. (I also love how relaxing it is and I can literally listen to it on a loop when I need to work/de-stress.)

No comments:

Post a Comment