Sunday, February 14, 2016

Love bade me welcome

In honor of Valentine's Day (and in honor of Valentine's Day falling on a Sunday this year), I'm posting a favorite love poem of mine.

Love (III) by George Herbert

Love bade me welcome: yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning
If I lacked anything.

"A guest," I answered, "worthy to be here":
Love said, "You shall be he."
"I, the unkind, ungrateful? Ah, my dear,
I cannot look on thee."
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
"Who made the eyes but I?"

"Truth, Lord; but I have marred them; let my shame
Go where it doth deserve."
"And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?"
"My dear, then I will serve."
"You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat."
So I did sit and eat.

I gave a sermon today in church, and I quoted this poem. I thought it was appropriate for Valentine's Day.

I could say more (I probably should say more), but I am tired and think I'll just end with this song which has been running through my head all day long.





No more a stranger, nor a guest . . . but like a child at home.

1 comment:

  1. this is lovely.
    loverly, even.
    also.
    i love you.
    always.
    okay, bye.

    ReplyDelete