Sunday, November 15, 2015

Mastering Hogwarts

Yes, I am one of those students who compares her Oxford experience to Hogwarts, oh, probably every day. But when you think about it, Oxford is Hogwarts. 

We eat in Great Halls like these:




We walk past and live in architecture like this: 







[I mean. Amiright? HOGWARTS.] 

Our libraries are soaked in history and wonder. 




We wear robes for special occasions (and which also come in handy for Harry Potter costumes for every Halloween/costume party for the rest of our lives).



[You knew it was coming.] 

We have common rooms. And it just so happens that the Corpus Christi MCR (Middle Common Room) looks likes the Gryffindor Common Room. No big deal. 



[Dorky, "MY COMMON ROOM LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING OUT OF A J.K. ROWLING NOVEL AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER" selfie.] 

There are places in Hogwarts--I mean Oxford (I honestly get them mixed up when I speak/write . . . great. I am that person.)--which were used for the sets on the Harry Potter films. 

Like the stairs at Christ Church . . .


. . . or the courtyard in New College, where Malfoy was turned into a ferret . . .


. . . or the Restricted Section--which is the actual restricted section of the Bodleian Library, the Duke Humfrey's Library (complete with chained and alarmed books. 100% serious). 


If this hasn't convinced you that I am actually studying at Hogwarts, maybe these random sightings will. 

Like how this eagle lecturn in the Corpus Christi Chapel looks eerily similar to Dumbledore's owl lecturn: 

vs. 

[Coincidence? I think not.]

Or how we have eggs that look like they could have come from a Basilisk: 


Or staircases which I am sure move when I least suspect them to: 


Or, I don't know. How we have a friendly neighborhood BADGER roaming around? 


[Say hello to Helga Hufflepuff, folks.] 

Yep. Definitely at Hogwarts. 

And happy to be here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment