Friday, February 25, 2011

Six Words

My friend Camille  wrote this on her blog:

you've probably heard the story of how ernest hemingway was challenged to write a story in six simple words, and subsequently wrote, "for sale: baby shoes, never worn."

the online journal smith magazine has collected thousands of people's 6 word memoirs 


And I decided to do the same.

As I've been thinking about it, this is what I've come up with:

Writing my life story with God. 

I am a writer. I always have been, and I always will be. Not only have a written stories about others and created their lives, but I'm also creating my life with every etch I make: every keystroke of action, every deliberation of decision, constantly moving my plot forward, learning how to create witty, thought-provoking, and beautiful dialog and forming my character. 

Of course, none of my story could even be possible without God. His gift of agency allows me to make decisions, and the gift of the Atonement gives me erasers and delete buttons, for which I am eternally grateful. 

Not only that, but as I learn and grow and write my story, I realize more and more how dependent I am on Him: for my plot, especially. He is the Master Storyteller and Editor. He has a better knowledge of how my story should play out than I do. And I'm learning to trust in His editing and foresight. Truly, He is the Author and Finisher of my faith . . . and my life story. I'm just grateful He gives me the chance to live and to . . .

Become nearer, my God, to Thee. 

1 comment: