Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Autumn!

It is officially autumn! I am very excited; autumn is my favorite season by far. The leaves changing colors, the crisp in the air, the return of sweaters and jackets, the leaves (again), pumpkins, and the smell of fall.

I'm not the only one who thinks that fall has a distinct smell, right? Because it does to me. It's hard to describe, but it is both fresh and musky . . . wet leaves mixed with the crisp autumn air and cold earth. Mmm.

"Summer move forward and stitch me the fabric of fall . . ."

4 comments:

  1. it DEFINITELY has a scent. Bath and Body Works agrees with you, too: they have a Wallflower scent called "Autumn." We have it at our house. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fall too, although I will miss the perfect weather of the last few weeks. But I have an idea. Would you perchance be interested in taking a trip back to Heritage once the leaves start falling, for a leaf-stomping party? I would make something autumny and delicious for afterwards... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calvin: Isn't it strange how smells are so evocative but we can't describe them?
    Hobbes: Oh, I dunno, that fire has a snorky, brambish smell.
    Calvin: I should have known animals would have words for smells.
    Hobbes: It's a little brunky. But the low humidity affects that.

    Calvin: You're telling me that animals have their own words for specific smells?
    Hobbes: Well, sure.
    Calvin: OK. Whats the word for how leaves smell?
    Hobbes: 'snippid.'

    Yes, fall does smell snippid. But much more than that.

    Also, I'm curious how you know that line from the Vienna Teng song. Are you a fan of her as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eliza: That sounds so much fun! I would love to do that.

    Kyra: Haha, you make me laugh. That's a wonderful Calvin and Hobbes quote. Snippid. I'll have to use that more often.

    I was introduced to Vienna Teng by your family, and I do like her. But I found that quote on your Facebook status one year (before I knew it was from Vienna Teng) and fell in love with the description.

    ReplyDelete