Wednesday, April 13, 2022

making varenyky while worrying about an ongoing invasion

 Note: This was written on February 22, 2022. I am late in posting this to my blog (though it has been on other social media platforms), but I felt it was important to post it here, too. May God bless Ukraine. 

making varenyky while worrying about an ongoing invasion

"I don't understand, I decidedly not not understand why men can't live without war." --Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace.

i remember reading an article
after putin invaded crimea
(almost eight years ago now),
about people in crimea
deciding to make varenyky
instead of voting in a rigged referendum.
they boycotted
by filling dough with cherries and potatoes,
as a way of political protest.
tonight i think about ukraine.
my heart is sick with reports
of boots on the ground
of sovereignty trampled
on the streets i once knew
in a country i love.
i cannot convince
a man
obsessed with rewriting history
(who hurtles through it, like the driver of
gogol's troika),
glutted with pride
wanting the world, if he could have it.
but my heart is with ukraine tonight
and my hands and head need something to do.
so i make varenyky
my favorite ukrainian comfort food
a small token
of my love for that beautiful land,
for those beautiful people.
the scents of the shallots simmering
in sunflower oil,
of sprigs of dill
send me back to donbas kitchens,
to times of eating buckwheat in the morning,
of gifts of pickled tomatoes,
of learning how to make borscht
in a tiny mariupol home--
our hostess explaining that the order matters,
that the flavors must marinate just right.
my varenyky are messy.
i am sure that a true ukrainian
would get the seal just right,
the shape just so.
but i am just an american
who will never truly be able to understand
the wars and famines ukraine has endured
for too many years,
an american
who cannot understand the worry of ukrainian mothers
while my own baby sleeps soundly in his crib,
as i make varenyky in the peace of my own home.
but with each press of my thumb
into the dough,
with each filling of cheese
and potatoes,
with each dumpling rising to the top
of the boiling water,
i witness again and again,
"i care, i care, i care."


No comments:

Post a Comment