Sunday, December 1, 2019

Recent recommendations [i]

What I've been reading:

Recently, I've been reading Svetlana Alexievich's The Unwomanly Face of War: An Oral History of Women in World War II. It is a literary masterpiece, in my opinion. I've read other works by Svetlana Alexievich, including Chernobyl Prayer (also sometimes called Voices from Chernobyl), which is a collection of oral histories she collected from people affected or involved with the 1986 disaster in Chernobyl. This book is a collection of oral histories from women who fought or otherwise participated in World War II. It's a book about Soviet women, partisans, and less about the glory of war than the everyday messiness, tragedies, and small kindnesses that composed life at the front. It's an absolutely stunning (and gutting) read so far. 10/10 would recommend, and I haven't even finished it yet.

What I've been listening to:

Podcasts: Sam and I finished listening to a season of "The Dream" which is an investigation into Multi-Level Marketing. It's both fascinating and horrifying. Their next season is going to be an investigation into the wellness industry, and I'll be interested to listen to that, too.

I've also been listening to the American Girls podcast, which is a podcast by two newly-minted History PhDs, and they are going through all of the American Girls books, starting with the original six. Right now they are on the "Kirsten" series. They are pretty fun to listen to.

Sam and I have also been listening to "Dolly Parton's America." Whether or not you are a fan of Dolly Parton/country music, you will probably like this podcast.

Music: CHRISTMAS MUSIC. Specifically the "Christmas at King's" playlist on Spotify.

What I've been eating: 

Roasted broccoli. And Satsuma Mandarin Oranges from Wegman's. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment