Sunday, July 8, 2018

A Mini Hermitage in DC


A couple of weeks ago, Sam and I went down to DC so we could see family and friends, so Sam could get the rest of his things, and so I could see the Hillwood Museum.

The Hillwood Museum holds a remarkable collection of Russian art, collected by Marjorie Post. Marjorie was the heiress of the Post-General Mills fortune, an art collector, and the wife of the second U.S. ambassador to the Soviet Union. She lived in the USSR during the 1930s--so the height of Stalin's power--and at a time when the Purges were happening and when Stalin was trying to get rid of/sell a lot of religious and Romonov art. So, Marjorie Post bought a lot of Russian art and brought it back to the States, and in later years expanded her collection. 

[It basically looks like a mini Hermitage.]

[Opulence. I has it.]

[A breakfast room that I actually would enjoy. It seems kinda nice, having breakfast in a gazebo.]

[So many books]

[I loved, loved, loved this picture and its frame and would definitely be happy to hang it in my house.]


[The gardens]

[Some of my favorite flowers]

[Part of the Japanese gardens]

[This was probably my favorite part of the grounds]

[And look! A Sam!]

[An American dacha in D.C.]


[So. many. orchids.]

As you can see, it's quite the museum. And quite the grounds. And quite the find in D.C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment