Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Moscow Metro

In addition to the Tretyakov Gallery, I figured the Moscow Metro also deserved its own post. Because it's a work of art in and of itself.

When I first got onto the Metro, I was swept back to Kharkov. The platform smelled like those familiar platforms in northeastern Ukraine, and the cars looked like the metro cars in Kharkov, too--a blue-greenish color.

(I was just talking to a friend from Kharkov, and it makes sense--both Kharkov and Moscow were rebuilt after WWII, so there's a reason why the Metro systems are similar . . . even though Moscow's metro system is much bigger than Kharkov's.)

Something I like about any metro system (whether it be in New York, London, Kharkov, or Moscow) is how when you step out of the station, you feel like you truly have entered a different part of the city. Moscow is no different. But something cool about Moscow is how different each of the stations are, too. 




[And, of course, Lenin looks on.]

[This station is called "Revolutionary Square." It was one of my favorites. There are statues representing those who fought in the Russian Revolution.]


[People rub certain statues for good luck. For example, this guy's knee is apparently good luck. There is another soldier's pistol, and then a dog's nose which are also good luck.]

I wasn't able to get pictures of all of the Metro stations I was in (nor did I get a chance to go to all the ones I wanted to see), but I hope this gives you a taste of the uniqueness of the Moscow Metro system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment